Hi nuri123a - when i look at a 5 year investing history, then by far the majority of time SP has been North of 430-440p with occasional dips into the 370 ranges on 3 occasions, so all in all 100% agree with your taking a long haul view. I suppose that as i purchased Jan 19 then majority of time has been downwards and i may feel different if i had enjoyed some of the 420 430p ranges. We have exchanged view previously and i fully subscribe to all your comments re financial strength, but maybe i am licking my wounds after 410 - 415p purchases. I will look forward to the Sept divi and try to not worry. My dilema is with substantial cash still available, should i snap up AV whilst cheap and then in 2-3 years reap the reward, or am i frightened off by the recent and possible crap share price for next few weeks / months etc. Also I am concerned that for whatever reason, AV is not a "darling" of the investment markets, and cannot wonder why with such strong financials. What do the guru's know that I dont as a humble home bound investor?? The new team hasn't had time to shine, but judging against share price performance there must be worried faces at AVHQ. looking at the last 5 years SP this is one of the lowest SP prices ever, again good time to buy in, or be scared for a reason?? Suppose that's the whole crux of share investing.... lets hope for sunnier days. Again, does the PRU merger have any substance do you believe??
Having bought in at 640p as my neighbour who works for GNK said they were undervalued and were a 1000p share and after watching the fall from 700p+ i am reasonably pleased to get out at 850p plus Sept divi. 2k profit in 3 months helps sweeten the portfolio a little after Aviva meltdown recently. However not comfortable that many UK stocks are cheap and vulnerable. Not sure I want everything owned by Chinese businessmen for my kids futures. Anyone believe another bidder may appear and increase the offer? If it's gonna happen then I can only hope for best available deal.
My flirtation with AV since Jan 19 has only really delivered dissatisfaction, apart from decent divi. Having benefited from the Greene King take over unless AV share price recovers North of 420p then it's no.longer an attractive hold share. Jam tomorrow doesn't pay today's bills. Are the PRU merger rumours current. Cover story is undated and nothing else current on Google. Getting very nervous holding 30k of AV stock.
So what happens next, to take advantage of the 850p share price, do i sell via my normal on line broker, or will GK simply cancel shares and send over the cheque. Afterying in at 644p and struggling to get any return apart from small divi, I need to take advantage of this price windfall........ how do i sell? Any advice as this is my first shareholding after takeover....
Many stocks at the moment taking a crazy pathway, same with GNK who had previously announced decent results. Assume the, at best "mixed" summer weather is hitting revenue and profit forecast for 2019 summer as most stay in doors to avoid torrential rain of recent weeks. Will a last rally for UK sunshine do the same for this share price?? My neighbour works for GNK and swears they are a soon to be £10 stock, maybe he is partaking too much of his own companies products!! As I bought in at 644p when they dropped from 700p I though I had done a decent deal, but as soon as I can recover my outlay cost through either SP growth (return!!) or SP + divi I think I will exit this stock for safer, even if more boring stocks, ie Aviva / RDSB. My punt stock has been Mondi and ABF, both showed superb 1 month gains but lost all the gain in current downturn, these would have been better than GNK who don't seem to be able to maintain a reliable SP even with superb results. Crazy place this investing market!!
Surely at 385p its time to buy, buy buy, or is it bye, bye bye in terms of value returns. What a difference a week makes!! Last week my post claimed AV was an uninteresting share, blimey, its got my interest so far this week!! God knows why but personally I just topped up another 2,000 shares, the wife will kill me if she finds out after all my moaning of last week!!
Whats happened to MONDI this week. Its a bloodbath with 250p lost from this weeks high. Good set of results, Broker analysis shows as very strong buy although some now revised price target to 20000p and a decent increase in Q2 interim divi . So why the price crash??? What am i missing ?????
Fully agree with nuri123a. My venture into AV ownership has been very uninspiring. Having secured a decent pay off on early retirement, the AV divi looked interesting for income, bu the share price lingers (or malingers!!) between 400/435p, more frequently circa 415p. With their decent results and financials, if nothing changes soon then I will be an ex -investor simply down to lower than mediocre share price performance . Luckily I bought in a 392p but can see me moving investment to a more rewarding, or even interesting investment. I get the feeling of stagnation around AV and the city institutions for some reason do not see AV in a positive light. Lets hope it sparks up a little if only to keep investors interested. Even Motley Fool doesn't seem to comment on AV, and they championed AV as a long term hold. 5 years SP stagnation as stated by JatW is definitely not worthy of FTSE100 and leading player in the industry .
The word around ABF seems good, with Primark forging ahead on profits and sales, and a positive Trading statement 4/7/19 confirming US business and activities remain positive. Any loss from Sugar is supposedly factored into the 1H19 results and better performance is forecast 2H19 / FY. Hargreaves Lansdowne shows as Very Strong Broker Buy and many have revised their target to a range of 2900-3400p. So, with all this positivity, why the poor share price and why is it enduring continuous slides. It could dip below 2300p in next few days (appreciate that it has recently gone ExD). Does the 2.1 Divi Yield put investors off, or is their some worry that Primark, the Jewel in the Crown, may be broken out of the ABF share price and be a stand alone share? As someone keen to add ABF to my small portfolio, the price slide against the positives confuses me. Any words of wisdom?
As a newbie to GNK holdings I thought that recent price drop from 703p to 640p gave a good buy-in price. Thankfully only took 750 shares and feel this is a roller coaster option. Despite strong results and a good Easter trading and hopefully a good summer if it stops raining!! I had hoped for short term good news at above 650-660p by now. Todays drop of 50p on top of yesterdays 10p drop makes me question should i recover my investment and transfer to AV who at 415p (the lower end of their 3 month average ) offer a 7% divi yield. With many shares offering 6%+ divi it makes it hard for other companies to secure investors unless a longer term hold. Does anyone have any positive news re GNK which may prevent me becoming an ex-investor / stock holder. Does anyone forecast a return to the heady days of 700p+ ( I suppose not until the summer trading has been banked!!).
As a newbie to GNK holdings I though that recent price drop from 703p to 640p gave a good buy-in price. Thankfully only took 750 shares and feel this is a roller coaster option. Despite strong results and a good Easter trading and hopefully a good summer t stops raining!! I had hoped for short term good news st above 650-660p by now. Todays drop of 25p on top of yesterdays 10p drop makes me question should i recover my investment and transfer to AV who at 415p (the lower end of their 3 month average ) offer a 7% divi yield. With many shares offering 6%+ divi it makes it hard for other companies to secure investors unless a longer term hold. Does anyone have any positive news re GNK which may prevent me becoming an ex-investor / stock holder. Does anyone forecast a return to the heady days of 700p+ ( I suppose not until the summer trading has been banked!!).