Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

UK PM Starmer to fight on with no timetable for departure - Lammy

Mon, 18th May 2026 09:11

(Alliance News) - UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer will fight on without setting a timetable for his departure, one of his most loyal Cabinet allies insisted as he urged Labour to "stop the own goals" after a week of infighting.

In a stark warning to colleagues, the prime minister's deputy David Lammy said the ruling party would lose the next general election if the "introspection" of the last 10 days continued.

Speaking to broadcasters on Monday morning, Lammy insisted he would "100%" be campaigning for Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham in the Makerfield by-election, which he will need to contest and win to mount a challenge for No 10.

But he added: "Let me be really clear, Keir Starmer remains the most resilient person I know in my life. I spoke to him twice yesterday. He has a strength of character, a fighting experience. There will be no timetables. What there is is getting on with the business of government."

Lammy said Labour had scored a "spectacular own goal" in the 10 days after a local election mauling that prompted mounting calls for the prime minister's resignation.

"Now is the time to stop the own goals, to get on the pitch, to pass the ball amongst ourselves, to play in the right direction, to score some goals on behalf of the British public," he told Sky News.

The senior minister, who is also Justice secretary, repeatedly refused to say whether he favoured rejoining the EU after a battle over reversing Brexit was ignited among the rivals vying to oust Starmer as prime minister.

Lammy, who has previously hinted at the economic benefits of returning to a customs union, insisted he was bound by Cabinet collective responsibility and the government remained "absolutely committed" to its Brexit red lines as he faced questions about the UK's future relationship with Brussels.

Wes Streeting, who resigned as health secretary last week, signalled he wanted to see Britain return to the EU as he announced on Saturday he would stand in any Labour leadership contest.

Supporters of Burnham are reportedly furious with the ex-minister as they believe it is a deliberate attempt to undermine the mayor's campaign in the Leave-voting constituency of Makerfield which would play into the hands of Reform UK, which will closely contend the seat.

Burnham sought to play down his own support for rejoining the trade bloc as he took part in a media blitz across the weekend.

He insisted there was a "long-term case" for advocating to join the EU, but insisted he was not campaigning on that issue in the by-election.

Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy rebuked her former Cabinet colleague Streeting for making Europe a centre-point of his campaign to succeed Starmer, describing it as "odd".

"If rejoining the EU is the answer, then essentially what we're saying to people is, 'life was fine in 2015, we just need to go back there'," added Nandy, who is seen as an ally to the Greater Manchester mayor.

Reform UK, which is the second placed party in Makerfield, plans to make hay out of Burnham's previous support for rejoining the EU as it knocks doors in the constituency.

Several media outlets reported that Nigel Farage branded the Greater Manchester mayor "open borders Burnham", indicating the Reform leader plans to campaign on the impact future EU membership could have on inward migration to the UK.

"Andy Burnham's position raises serious questions. At a time when millions of voters are demanding control of our borders, he continues to advocate re-joining a European project built around the free movement of 500 million people," Farage told the Daily Express.

Starmer, who reportedly spent the weekend at his Chequers country estate, is said to be privately considering whether he will contest challenges to his leadership, despite having publicly insisted he will fight them.

Nandy appeared to veer away from the government line that Starmer would stand against his rivals as she spoke to broadcasters on Sunday morning, telling the BBC: "It's a very personal decision for him."

She later added: "So, I wouldn't write off the prime minister, but I would just say that this is a very personal decision.

"He's got to make that decision himself."

Asked about her comments on Monday, Lammy also declined to explicitly confirm the prime minister would run in any contest but insisted he had been "crystal clear he fights on".

"He's been crystal clear he fights on, on behalf of the British people, delivering in government," he told BBC Breakfast.

"He has my full support."

By Nina Lloyd and David Lynch, Press Association

Press Association: News

source: PA

Copyright 2026 Alliance News Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Economic News Government & Politics

Related News

UK Labour party leadership rivals caught up in debate over EU ties
21 hours ago

UK Labour party leadership rivals caught up in debate over EU ties

(Alliance News) - Two of the men hoping to oust Keir Starmer as UK prime minister have been caught up in a debate over whether Labour should seek to t...

UK government to scrap planned rise in fuel tax, Sun reports
1 day ago

UK government to scrap planned rise in fuel tax, Sun reports

LONDON, May 16 (Reuters) - British finance minister Rachel ​Reeves plans ⁠to announce next week that ​she will postpone a planned rise in tax on motor...

Pressure on UK PM Starmer ramps up as Burnham closer to challenge
2 days ago

Pressure on UK PM Starmer ramps up as Burnham closer to challenge

(Alliance News) - The prospect of a leadership challenge to UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer is looming closer after Andy Burnham was cleared to run for...