Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

UK drops plans for mandatory digital ID for workers in latest U-turn, media reports

Tue, 13th Jan 2026 21:19

LONDON, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Britain is set to ⁠drop plans to ‌make it mandatory for workers ⁠to hold a digital identity document, The Times newspaper, the BBC and other media reported on ‍Tuesday, potentially marking another policy U-turn for the Labour government.

Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced in September ‍last year that his government would require every employee to hold a digital ID ⁠in an attempt to tackle illegal migration and reduce the threat from the populist Reform UK party.

The government said the digital ID would be held on people's mobile phones ​and become a mandatory part of checks employers must make when hiring staff.

The plan drew criticism from political opponents, with some arguing it would not deter illegal migration and others warning it could infringe on civil liberties.

The Times ‍said the government abandoned the plan amid concerns it could undermine public trust ‌in the scheme, noting that when introduced in 2029, digital IDs would be optional rather than mandatory.

Other forms of documentation, ‌such as an electronic visa or passport, would still be valid, The Times said.

"We are committed to mandatory digital right to work checks," a government spokesperson said. "We ‌have always been clear that details on the digital ID scheme will be set out following ​a full public consultation which will launch shortly."

The spokesperson said current checks rely on a "hodgepodge" of paper-based systems, with no record of whether they were ever carried out, leaving ⁠the process open to fraud and abuse.

If plans ‍for a mandatory digital ID are dropped, it would mark another policy climbdown for Starmer.

In December, the government scaled ​back a plan to raise more tax from farmers, ⁠months after it backed down on cuts to welfare spending and scaled back a proposal to reduce subsidies on energy bills for the elderly. (Reporting by Catarina Demony; Additional reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

Related News

Alternative Income REIT says cannot take a view on Glenstone approach
34 mins ago

Alternative Income REIT says cannot take a view on Glenstone approach

(Alliance News) - Alternative Income REIT PLC on Monday said it is not in a position to "form a view on the merits or otherwise" of a takeover proposa...

Kainos reports higher full-year revenue, profit
42 mins ago

Kainos reports higher full-year revenue, profit

(Sharecast News) - Kainos reported higher full-year revenue and profit on Monday after a stronger sales performance across the group, with growth in D...

UK PM Starmer to fight on with no timetable for departure - Lammy
54 mins ago

UK PM Starmer to fight on with no timetable for departure - Lammy

(Alliance News) - UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer will fight on without setting a timetable for his departure, one of his most loyal Cabinet allies ins...