Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

SFO drops 10-year probe into Rio Tinto, Eurasian Natural Resources

Thu, 24th Aug 2023 18:08

(Alliance News) - The Serious Fraud Office has dropped a 10-year probe into Rio Tino PLC and former FTSE 100 miner Eurasian Natural Resources Corp, saying it does not have enough evidence to prosecute.

Prosecutors had been looking into the suspected payment of bribes by the company and people linked to it in the Democratic Republic of the Congo between 2009 and 2012.

But on Thursday the SFO updated its website to say the case is closed.

"Following our latest review of the investigation, we concluded that we have insufficient admissible evidence to prosecute, and closed the case," it said.

"We would like to sincerely thank everyone who has co-operated with our investigation."

SFO investigators also dropped three other probes, including one into suspected corruption by Rio Tinto PLC in the Republic of Guinea.

In closing the Rio Tinto investigation, the SFO said it "is not in the public interest to proceed with a prosecution in the UK".

But it said Australian police are still investigating the matter and it will support that probe.

The SFO in 2013 opened its investigation into the ENRC (Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation), a London-headquartered Kazakh mining firm set up in the early 1990s after the fall of the Soviet Union.

The company had been dogged by boardroom spats and allegations of wrongdoing for several years. It was taken private and delisted from London's stock exchange in 2013.

The SFO's investigation has not led to a prosecution of ENRC, but ENRC has launched a lawsuit over the case, seeking damages from the authority.

Last May, a court ruled that the agency breached its duties by accepting information from a lawyer hired by ENRC to run an internal investigation.

The judge cleared the SFO of other allegations.

A spokesperson for ENRC said: "ENRC is pleased that the SFO has finally closed its investigation and that the SFO is taking no further action in respect of this matter."

Rio Tinto have been contacted for comment.

source: PA

Copyright 2023 Alliance News Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Rio Tinto

Shares in this article

Related News

LONDON MARKET CLOSE: FTSE 100 edges higher despite oil price gains
1 hour ago

LONDON MARKET CLOSE: FTSE 100 edges higher despite oil price gains

(Alliance News) - The FTSE 100 ended a see-saw session in the green, as rising mining stocks offset disappointing earnings and a higher oil price.

Market Reports Icg Plc + 13 more shares
JPMorgan's Aiyengar sees global firms turning to China amid volatility
6 hours ago

JPMorgan's Aiyengar sees global firms turning to China amid volatility

* Aiyengar says global firms keen on China innovation

Banking Netflix + 6 more shares
JPMorgan's Aiyengar sees global firms turning to China for shelter amid global volatility
8 hours ago

JPMorgan's Aiyengar sees global firms turning to China for shelter amid global volatility

* Aiyengar says global firms keen on China innovation

Banking Netflix + 6 more shares