Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

Iran submits fresh peace proposal to US - reports

Mon, 18th May 2026 11:33

(Sharecast News) - A revised peace plan drawn up by Iran aimed at ending war in the Middle East has been shared with the US, it was reported on Monday.

According to Reuters, the proposal was shared with Washington by Islamabad. Pakistan is acting as an intermediary between Washington and Tehran, and has hosted previous unsuccessful peace talks. Interior minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi arrived in Tehran on Saturday for a two-day official visit, which was reportedly extended by 24 hours on Monday.

The revised proposal is understood to comprise 14 points, according to Iranian media, although no official details have as yet been published. An Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson later confirmed the proposal had been shared with Washington via Pakistan, but again did not discuss the contents.

On Sunday, US president Donald Trump posted on social media late on Sunday: "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!"

The G7 is currently meeting in Paris, and US Treasury secretary Scott Bessent said he would call on the countries' finance ministers to impose sanctions on Iran to keep funds away from Iran's "war machine".

However, according to the semi-official Iranian news agency Tasnim, citing an unnamed source close to the negotiating team, the US has agreed to temporarily waiver sanctions on Iranian oil while discussions to end the war continue.

America first attacked Iran at the end of February, leading to the outbreak of hostilities across the region and the effective closure of the vital Strait of Hormuz. A fragile ceasefire was first agreed in April and has since been extended, but a permanent peace deal remains as yet elusive.

A Pakistani source told Reuters: "We don't have much time," adding that both countries "keep changing their goalposts".

Government & Politics

Related News

IMF lifts UK growth estimate but warns risks remain
1 hour ago

IMF lifts UK growth estimate but warns risks remain

(Sharecast News) - The International Monetary Fund raised its growth forecast for the UK on Monday, but warned risks remained, including "domestic unc...

UK PM Starmer says will back Labour Makerfield by-election choice 100%
1 hour ago

UK PM Starmer says will back Labour Makerfield by-election choice 100%

(Alliance News) - Keir Starmer has insisted he will back Labour's Makerfield by-election candidate "100%" despite leadership hopeful Andy Burnham prim...

Jury begins deliberations in bribery trial of Nigeria's ex-oil minister Alison-Madueke
2 hours ago

Jury begins deliberations in bribery trial of Nigeria's ex-oil minister Alison-Madueke

LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - The jury ​in the ⁠bribery trial of Diezani Alison-Madueke, ​Nigeria's former oil minister, on Monday began their deliberati...