Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

Commerzbank urges shareholders to reject UniCredit takeover

Mon, 18th May 2026 16:00

(Sharecast News) - Commerzbank said on Monday that it was recommending that shareholders reject a takeover offer by Italy's UniCredit.

In a joint statement, the German lender's board of managing directors and supervisory board said the offer provides no adequate premium and does not reflect the fundamental value of the group.

They also said UniCredit's plan is "vague and entails considerable risks" and that the Italian bank significantly underestimates revenue losses, overestimates synergies, and assumes an "unrealistic" implementation timeline.

They said Commerzbank's 'Momentum 2030' strategy creates greater value with low implementation risks.

Having undertaken a comprehensive assessment of the "adequacy" of the offer, the board of managing directors and the supervisory board said the conclusion was "unambiguous". Earlier this month, UniCredit launched an offer of around €24bn for the shares of Commerzbank it doesn't already own.

"The implied offer value constitutes a significant discount compared to the long-term value creation potential of Commerzbank as well as to the current trading metrics," said the management and supervisory boards.

Commerzbank chief executive Bettina Orlopp said: "UniCredit's takeover offer does not offer an adequate premium to our shareholders. What is described as a combination is in fact a restructuring proposal that would massively impact our proven and profitable business model.

"At Commerzbank, we have a clear and successful strategy, which offers an attractive growth case to our shareholders. That is the benchmark."

Related News

Prince William to sell parts of royal estate to reinvest in local communities
1 hour ago

Prince William to sell parts of royal estate to reinvest in local communities

LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - Britain's Prince William ​will sell off ⁠parts of his vast ​Duchy of Cornwall estate over the next decade to help fund plan...

NextEra to buy Dominion Energy in $67bn deal
3 hours ago

NextEra to buy Dominion Energy in $67bn deal

(Sharecast News) - NextEra Energy said on Monday that it has agreed to buy Dominion Energy in a $67bn all-share deal that will create the world's larg...

Boston Scientific buys 34% stake in MiRus for $1.5bn
4 hours ago

Boston Scientific buys 34% stake in MiRus for $1.5bn

(Sharecast News) - Boston Scientific said on Monday that it has invested $1.5bn in privately-held MiRus in exchange for a 34% stake, with an exclusive...