Visit our new Alternative Investment section.Click here

Less Ads, More Data, More Tools Register for FREE

Canal+ to squeeze out MultiChoice shareholders after crossing 90% mark

Mon, 13th Oct 2025 07:51

(Alliance News) - Paris-based Canal+ SA will compulsorily acquire the remaining shares in the Johannesburg-based entertainment company MultiChoice Group Ltd after crossing the key 90% share ownership threshold.

As at 1200 SAT on Friday last week, MultiChoice shareholders holding 217.7 million shares, or about 92.5%, had accepted Canal+'s mandatory offer.

Canal+ now holds a total of 94.4% stake in MultiChoice, including shares it held before the offer. The London-listed group will exercise a "squeeze-out" option to buy all the remaining shares.

After reaching this target, Canal+ will take over MultiChoice, which will delist from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange. Canal+ will then seek a secondary inward listing on the JSE, following acquisition of MultiChoice.

Canal+'s takeover of MultiChoice will conclude a process that started early in June last year. Back then, Canal+ improved its offer for MultiChoice to ZAR125 per share, a 67% premium to MultiChoice's closing price of ZAR75 before Canal+ first approached MultiChoice investors on February 1 last year.

The combined group will serve more than 40 million subscribers across nearly 70 countries in Africa, Europe and Asia.

In a joint statement, Canal+ and MultiChoice said on Monday the integration of the two firms has now started to take place.

"We are pleased with the overwhelming success of the offer," Canal+ Chief Executive Officer Maxime Saada said, adding: "Following this outcome, we will be moving ahead with a squeeze-out of MultiChoice shareholders and a subsequent secondary inward listing of Canal+ in Johannesburg, in addition to our primary listing in London."

By Artwell Dlamini, Alliance News senior reporter South Africa

Comments and questions to newsroom@alliancenews.com

Copyright 2025 Alliance News Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

Canal+

Shares in this article

Related News

Canal+ threatens to blacklist French film industry figures after Bollore criticism
1 day ago

Canal+ threatens to blacklist French film industry figures after Bollore criticism

* Canal+ threatens to blacklist 600 industry figures after open letter criticizing Bollore

Canal+ looks set to list on JSE on June 3 after fast-track process
12 May 2026

Canal+ looks set to list on JSE on June 3 after fast-track process

(Alliance News) - Canal+ SA confirmed on Tuesday it will debut on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange on June 3 following fast-track secondary inward list...

Paddington meets Astérix as Canal+ and Hachette forge book-to-screen alliance
5 May 2026

Paddington meets Astérix as Canal+ and Hachette forge book-to-screen alliance

* Canal+ and Hachette launch ON SCREEN for premium book adaptations