If you were a long term shareholder holding for years then I can understand the frustration, although clearly you would have benefitted from reviewing your position earlier. Anyone who has bought in the last few months can't really blame anyone than themselves I don't think. The sp and also the price of the bonds and the profit warnings were all there and people were taking a punt on doubling/trebling or more their stake in short order. That possibility comes with the corresponding risk that the stock could halve or worse in no time at all, however low it is. That is the risk with such stocks and sometimes unfortunately they don't pay off. Even now some will double their money I expect although from where to where I don't know.
Typically (without other news or macro moves) a stock will drop a little more than the dividend by the close and then a little more again on the following couple of days before stabilising. Invariably in the modern age where trading is instant and electronic you are better selling before it goes ex-dividend and buying a day or two afterwards - I will be very surprised if within a couple of days of going ex there isn't a point where the sp is around 25p down from beforehand.
I would have thought a buy finished today when it was clear it was on the move. Perhaps find out soon enough but it certainly wouldn't have been a live trade of that size at that time and at that price as it didn't affect things as you say.
RE: Wonder if we will hear anything about22 Jul 2019 22:18
The gasification trechnology company said it expects to invoice North Fork Community Power €2.2mln (US$2.5mln), under a separate sales contract, for the sale of further equipment and the supply of engineering and design services to North Fork Community Power.
The sales contract, which upon signing will involve a substantial down payment together with further agreed milestone payments until commissioning, is expected to be completed and signed by the end of June 2019.
What sorcery is this - sp currently up a bit! Was tempted to sell a few earlier at 43.5 just to buy back at 42 ish as it is happening a few times a day lately but didn't bother. Expect good results but would be nice to get a decent bounce before then and then a push on from a higher point when they are released next week.
Paul-Planet Earth, I am not sure whether in your posts you are being deliberately disingenuous or whether you just don't understand. You talk of the shares being valued by Fosun or £750m, or £1b including their original stake. There has never in my mind been any question that the company had a value, and Citi didn't question that either. Citi said the equity (rather than the company) was potentially worth zero when you take everything else into account including the debt. The Enterprise value of the company when you exclude debt is clearly there but the value of the sp is based on the equity, and this is what is on the floor. To suggest Fosun value the equity at 1b would be to also take into account there being some less debt in that scenario (although probably not as big a reduction as you think as much is for working capital I believe) and also many, many billions of extra shares in issue following a D4E so it can't be easily compared to the situation without that. It is quite possible that money will be made at this point but I can't see this sort of deal ultimately being stopped as Fosun could probably block alternatives based on their holding - just like MA did with DEBS, even though it cost him in the end.
I agree about being a good buy if you give it even a little time. Not sure it will recover to the levels it did last warning though now that there has been another one. You could still make a case for it being massively over-valued based on normal multiples but this share has disproved that for so many years already.
That will be a trade from earlier - could just as easily be a sell and only showing as a buy because it was executed at a higher price than the close of 2107, which isn't difficult because that was the low of the day I think. I would be very surprised if, after finishing at the low of the day, it doesn't drop further tomorrow.