A bed was newly dug last autumn for this season. Home made compost (a combination garden waste & all household compostibles and fortified with organic liquid nitrogen) was dug in at the start of the season.
The plot S.E facing and enjoying full sun throughout the growing months was divided front and back. In the back three lines of organic Desiree seed potatoes and in the front a bed of a home cultivar Strawberry with three rows of twelve plants. All plants were first year stock, taken off runners from a 3 yr old bed the previous year. 50 further reserve plants sit on a shaded compost bed as a control and at end of season, for anyone who may want them.
In April, the plot was further divided into right and left, the crops on one side receiving the requisite amount of poly 4 and those on the left none.
Within 2-3 weeks it became apparent that both crops receiving poly4 had significantly more foliage which remains the case for the Strawberries with the non poly4 potatoes only slightly smaller.
The strawberries have endured two dry periods during which I applied river water and a week ago support frames were put in to carry a net to protect from birds.
Last night we removed the net and assessed each of the plants. The poly4 was still visible in the soil around those plants fed and all of the plants had produced significantly more growth and runners. There appears to be more fruit than the non fed plants but as it is early days I don't want to jump the gun. Fruits harvested from the poly4 bed last night outnumbered the non poly by 3 to 1 and overall were noticeably larger. Given that all other conditions were the same, this may well be down to the poly4 fed plants being able to grow and mature more quickly. We will know better in 2-3 weeks time when the season for these plants closes.
By way of further reference, we have two further strawberry beds. One, a 3yr old home cultivar and the other a 5yr old commercial variety which will probably be decommissioned and re-planted this winter.
As for taste....although almost there, none of the poly4 bed fruits were as mature as those we picked from the 5 yr plot, so we have resisted temptation, we will be picking from the 3yr old plot this evening and have decided to wait so that we can sample and compare all in one go.
Around the same time, we also set away a tomato trial. This one a bit more complex.
A cherry variety that we had successfully grown outside last season was "Cherry falls".
Seeds were set off in a tray and when ready to transplant were divided into the following categories.
Organic...organic NPK fertilizer was applied
Poly 4.....poly 4 fertilizer was applied
Poly 4 & Organic.....equal portions of the the two.
The plants were grown on in the greenhouse, hardened off in a coldframe and then planted separately in the same sheltered bed in full sun a couple of weeks ago when the risk of frost had passed.
myo did you receive the reply I sent about 5 minutes ago? I never know if they have gone or not?
Myo I assume my post got lost somewhere. Anyway what I thought after reading your 8.04 post was the additional foliage growth simply due to adding additional nutrients. I would have added growmore to the other half at the same time as you added the poly4. Then you could have compared to see if poly4 gave better results than the general fertiliser. Suppose we need farmers to change from their current fertiliser use to a poly4 mix so the ingredients in poly4 need to justify themselves as the trials seem to indicate. I see your tomato trial is more balanced.
robins....the reason for the strawberry potato trial was to evaluate poly 4 against what we normally do.....
Gardening an acre, we have masses of compostable waste, I use a mulching lawnmower to chop hedge trimmings (leyladii & privet) into easily compostible material and and anything household that is compostible (green kitchen waste, carboard, paper, newspapers etc gets used too. This all gets cycled through three approx 5 tonne compost frames and by the start of the following season is fully composted and reduced to half volume......it is this that we have used for years to enrich the soil and as the nutrient base for the crops.
Last year, inspired by what poly 4 can do, we trialled to good effect a solid organic NPK fertilizer, which wasn't easy to find, from B&Q of all places in the end.....and made by a company called Verve.......it wasn't cheap.....although what we did trial, produced good results but as I didn't have a control, we don't know if it was the exceptional growing season, the fertilizer or that during the dry spell we had abstracted thousands of gallons of river water to keep thinks alive.
I've only been allowed a small supply of poly4 so we've had to be extremely selective but as well as the above we are trying it with sweetcorn, rasps, french beans, petit pois, thornless blackberry and as I'm about to plant up a brassica bed deciding whether to add to that......
Myo would love to have been able to do what you are doing at your age but had to work to support my 4 children. I did have an allotment for years but now grow fruit and veg in my back garden. I am going to buy some polysulphate for next year but it is a bit expensive. I took a cutting of the budleia you gave me and I think it has taken. Bit worried about the share price though. My average is around 26p. Do you think we will get there this year?? Cheers.
robins....I think much revolves around getting these straight bonds placed....I'm told that there's just the final legal work to be done around getting the prospectus adapted to US requirements after which and if appropriate, it can be published and the process begin. They want to get this done much earlier than Sept and apparently early sounding out has been positive...and that's no different to what had been reported in the Times.....
As you have seen many anticipated that post placing just as with stg1 the sp would drop below the placing price.....no surprise, it has....but on this occasion, it didn't happen straight away, it took a few weeks and it may not be for as long this time.....4 months at stg1.....but a further 2 months after that the price had doubled....
.....traders and chartists like patterns...they predict, follow and I think by self fulfillment at times create them.....
Regardless of the day to day, week to week shenanigans......the fundamentals of the project remain......the three main aspects (Build, Sales & Finance) have changed significantly since stg1. Sales have gone beyond expectations to a degree...I think more have been crystallised sooner to support the financing case......but even so, the initial prices obtained and the joint ventures that will be announced soon, don't just support the case, they enhance it. The build, pretty much on schedule.....a few adaptations, but nothing that couldn't be solved.......if the two SBR's get across as planned and the main shafts are prepared as expected then the antcipation is like with the TBM, they can get started ahead of schedule.....
so with two aspects going along well, it would seem that it is the finance that is the drag on sp.....but this is a complex build and we see daily just how many don't understand what's going on.......do the traders and the city types......CF said...in their eyes long term is 4-6 months.....so I think for the forseeable many will still crave & create the volatility and trade it.....I think what most don't get is that regular small percentages add up to large percentages over time....and at the low end of the market if traded for additional stock over cash, it can work as a hedge to further benefit into any rise.......
Cheers Myo. I know you talk with the BOD and you think they are decent and honest so with a bit of luck all should go well.
robins......given the nature of some of the posting towards me on the board recently....I am reluctant to post even a throwaway email addresss......we've got an improptu trip down to London mon/tues but will be back on Wed.....
Mrs M is exams officer so needs to be in school Wed/Thu mornings of next week......so if you and your good lady want to pop up in the afternoon that's fine or if just yourself.....Wed/Thu morning is just as easy too.....either way I could meet you in the village?
Myo think I am in the right place. Can you confirm. Robins
Myo just saw your earlier message. My wife and I could be in your village on Thursday at 2pm. Where do we meet up?
keep an eye on this page and as we're back on Wednesday can we finalise times then....have you access to this board while away?
Myo just read your message. Yes my daughter has a computer so I will keep an eye out for your comments from Wednesday onwards. Cheers x
robins....a tiring but enjoyable few days away....but a bit worrying watching the environment agency river levels (we had a flood warning) and not knowing what was going on!!....just been down to see if we had got away with it......we didn't......only the third time in 15 years that the river has burst its banks and spilled into the lower gardens (we're fine as we're nearly 2m above that).......It's not quite devastation this time as most of the planting is intact but there's quite a bit to tidy up, some of the paths have been damaged and looking at the debris that has caught under and against the bridge (including a tree) I'll need to get the chain saw out when the levels drop to something safer......
....I hope you don't mind but tomorrows a no go......after all the hard work it's a bit gutting to see the mess and I would show the garden when it's presentable....plus its not quite the weather for digging veg.......how long are you up until?
Sorry to hear Myo. We come to Newcastle a couple of times a year so I will let you know when next we are here. As no one has been hurt that's all that matters. Bought just a few shares here this morning but got caught paying 10.55p. Like you have said this project should not fail as the money we are after is small in the grand scheme. We are going into town now on the bus and going to look around St James Park area. Suppose you are still holding all your shares. Best wishes to your wife too. Robins.
Up early doors today and majority of tidying up done......weather not good tomorrow.....are you still here Saturday?
Hi Myo yes we are going back early Sunday.
Hi....we're around Sat morning are you able to make it up say 11am?
Hi Myo. We can meet you in your village at 11 am on Sat but 12 noon would be better. Please let me know where to meet up.
Presumably with your wife?