tautologically companies have to own the buildings they use, although they could rent them also.
the advantage of renting is you can relocate more easily, and you can expand the outfit more readily.
but buildings they dont use can be a liability if property prices fall, even if they rise, its speculation. and for the investor it complicates things as you are handling extra risks that you have no direct control of.
to isolate risk, companies should only own what is unavoidable.
what they can do is move the unused properties into an independent subsidiary, eg something like "royal mail property developments", and then split the shares. so eg 3.94 quid RMG becomes 2.00 quid RMG PLUS 1.94 "royal mail property developments". but they should also consolidate the 2.00 quid RMG shares to become 3.94 again, because otherwise the price graph would deter new investors who wont realise the fall in price is just a relabelling. people who trade entirely with technical analysis will avoid share splits as it looks like a crash.
if I bought in, I would divest the property ones. anyway, it means the shareholder can decide to divest the properties if they choose.
if property prices fall, some companies could move into negative equity which could cause the share price to correct.
with SAYE at 360, I think they are waiting for the price to reach 360. now once the price reaches 360 they probably cannot stop it reaching 350, what could happen is the price momentarily reaches approx 350. but at the moment I dont want to put any money on this, but its very tempting. at the moment I am waiting for relevant RNS before buying in. but at the back of my mind I am thinking of putting 300 quid with limit order 355, and then another 300 after a relevant RNS occurs. At the moment I am restraining the first idea, partly because I think there will be a quality low after the RNS. at the moment cautious decisions are the best. at other times less caution was needed.
I got some of these on the original IPO and sold back at 5.30, back at 6 quid it was all talk of how it had been massively undervalued by the govt and how it was going to keep on rising....
Personally think this is a solid company and will likely get back in, if the price drops to 3.60 or less as someone mentioned I'll definitely take some shares, the divi yield is looking a lot nicer too now, back 5 & 6 quid it was pretty small % wise and was the reason I sold
Datafeed and UK data supplied by NBTrader and Digital Look.
While London South East do their best to maintain the high quality of the information displayed on this site,
we cannot be held responsible for any loss due to incorrect information found here. All information is provided free of charge, 'as-is', and you use it at your own risk.
The contents of all 'Chat' messages should not be construed as advice and represent the opinions of the authors, not those of London South East Limited, or its affiliates.
London South East does not authorise or approve this content, and reserves the right to remove items at its discretion.