"Mountain State has already started working with Beowulf's new and supplemented application for a mining concession in Kallak outside Jokkmokk.
Following a judgment of the Supreme Administrative Court, the documentation for the application to investigate the influence of a larger area, and not only mine itself.
But Beowulf CEO Kurt Budge says that it is already done and he hopes for a positive response in two to three months.
"At our table"
According Åsa Persson, the company has defined the entire mining area on a map, and also extended the interested parties in Kallak.
And it may suffice for a decision.
- The matter is on our table. That means there are notices that we are working on it. It is not waiting, but we have not taken any decision, either on the need for further additions or substance of the case, she says.
Can there be a decision from the mountain state for two to three months as Beowulf hope for?
- We never say a few times that way. It is not unreasonable that we take it for years, but it is not certain that it will be so either. But the decision we will be appealed to the government whether it is yes or no, says Åsa Persson."
Lulea Beowulf press to obtain a mining concession for Kallak outside Jokkmokk. We have made it necessary, believes CEO Kurt Budge.
- Our position is that we have done what is necessary. We have not introduced anything new in our application, says Kurt Budge, managing director of Beowulf.
Kurt Budge says that he is in Dubai to meet with the Mining Inspectorate and the provincial government, to explain the company's position following the government decision. Last week, the mining company sent a letter to the Mining Inspectorate which adjusts its application, that application must also cover the area needed for the power plants to the mine. Previously, the application only the concession area of the ore deposit.
The change is significant, because it is precisely at this point that the Supreme Administrative Court changed the conditions in a ruling in February 2016 in the case of Norra Karr. As the Court stated the principle that the application for a mining concession will also cover the area needed for the mine's operating facilities.
Beowulf Mining considers the environmental impact assessment has already been done is sufficient and need not be completed. This view is not shared by the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Heritage Board, which conveyed to the government that the EIA needs to be supplemented and describe the impact that a mine Kallak would have on the World Heritage Laponia.
Any additional environmental impact assessment would lead to a further delay.
- I think it will be harmful for the Swedish mining industry's prospects for the finish line is moved continuously, comments Kurt Budge.
Running any work of mine?
- It is very difficult to do anything right now. This delay in getting permits for Kallak prevents us to form partnerships locally, which is needed to get to a successful mining projects, says Kurt Budge.
Some indication of how long Mountain State examining can take, he has not received.
- No, but I'm an optimist. It should not take years, not months, said Kurt Budge.
Mountain State has not taken a position on the merits.
- For us it is about to take a position on whether we are on the same line as the company and if so, whether we are considering to refer the matter to the provincial government, says Johan Morin, a lawyer at the Mining Inspectorate.
"Beowulf's CEO Kurt Budge believes that it is an ore of super quality found in Kallak and he believes in a positive outcome for mining within a few months.
Kurt Budget visited Dubai on Wednesday to meet with shareholders to discuss the handling of the company's application for a mining concession.
He claims that the new licensing rules do not affect his business very much because the studies and analyzes already carried out in a larger area, and not only in the mining area. "Outstanding discovery"
And for a road that would have gone through a Natura 2000 site moved.
- I think we can get a positive response by the authorities in a few months and I am eager to take the next step in the mining project, he says to SVT News Norrbotten.
If it is as he believes that mining can start four to five years in what is called Kallak north outside Jokkmokk.
- Our testing shows that we have market-leading quality of minerals. It's about 71 percent of iron concentrate. There is outstanding, so I firmly believe in the project, says Kurt Budge. 250 permanent jobs
How many jobs are we talking about?
- It's about 250 permanent jobs and 500 construction jobs for a few years. Then there will be other jobs created in Jokkmokk because of it.
- I think the new job is now more important than ever for Jokkmokk then Vattenfall said that the group might move 40 jobs from the municipality.
How long should the mine be operated - if you get permission?
- Kallak North that we are applying for now has a life of fourteen. Then will Kallak south with a number of years and it is a good thing for an entrepreneur like us, and even for Jokkmokk. A mine can become an asset that can develop the municipality and its business, said Kurt Budge. Bad reputation
Beowulf has a certain reputation in Jokkmokk municipality and it applies especially Sami who will be affected by a possible mining. Former CEO did, among other things known for the statement "Local people? What local people? ".
And Kurt Budge During his two years as president worked hard to improve Beowulf "approach".
- When I came up to Jokkmokk the first time in October 2014, I was shocked at what reputation Beowulf had. I had never wanted to work for a company with the reputation that's why we have worked hard with a new approach and state that we want to be a local partner in the municipality, but there is still much to do, he says. can coexist
How do you see the conflict between the possible mining and reindeer?
- I think the two national interests can coexist, but it requires good communication and regular contact between us to make it. I hope we can build a strong relationship as the project progresses.
Another thing is that Beowulf is about to become a Swedish company.
- Beowulf is currently owned by Swedish shareholders 48 percent. It's probably not as many people know, says Kurt Budge."
Datafeed and UK data supplied by NBTrader and Digital Look.
While London South East do their best to maintain the high quality of the information displayed on this site,
we cannot be held responsible for any loss due to incorrect information found here. All information is provided free of charge, 'as-is', and you use it at your own risk.
The contents of all 'Chat' messages should not be construed as advice and represent the opinions of the authors, not those of London South East Limited, or its affiliates.
London South East does not authorise or approve this content, and reserves the right to remove items at its discretion.