Smart II a step-change in delivering the mobile internet to value-focused consumers worldwide
31 May, 2012. Vodafone today announced the launch of the Smart II, a breakthrough smartphone for the mass market, which offers an unprecedented combination of high performance and low cost in a package attractive to the large majority of consumers currently missing out on the smartphone revolution.
The Vodafone Smart II has twice the processing power of the most expensive and sought-after smartphones available just three years ago, but at a fraction of the price. It offers new smartphone users a high-end mobile internet experience and an uncompromised level of functionality, including:
· a highly responsive HVGA capacitive touchscreen with 64 million colours;
· brand new Broadcom 21552 with 832MHz processor and 512MB of RAM - the computing power of high-end smartphones 3 years ago;
· high-speed 3G HSDPA and Wi-Fi connectivity;
· 3.2 megapixel camera with white LED flash; and
· the latest Assisted GPS (AGPS) technology for rapid and accurate mapping and navigation functions.
The Smart II is also highly customisable, with interchangeable back plates and rims in 16 colour variations.*
Vodafone has designed the Smart II to introduce non-smartphone consumers to a new world of content and services that will save them time, money and help them manage their daily lives, including:
· high-speed mobile internet browsing, including voice-activated Google Search™;
· access to the latest news, entertainment and transport apps for information on the move;
· emails, contacts and calendars;
· social networking services such as Facebook™ and Twitter™;
· money-saving services such as the Vouchercloud, a location-based shopping discount voucher app; and
· dedicated Vodafone apps which make it simple for customers to track their spending and download the best new apps and music.
Patrick Chomet, Group Terminals Director said: "The Smart II is one of the most important devices we have ever introduced. It delivers a level of performance, functionality and quality that is traditionally the preserve of high-end smartphones but at an exceptionally affordable price. We believe the Smart II could represent a tipping point in the evolution of the market, bringing a new wave of consumers to the supermobile world for the first time."
The Smart II will be available across Vodafone markets and partner markets this summer and will be priced under €99, launching first in the UK priced at £70.
- ends -
*Availability of colours varies from market to market.
Notes to Editors
1. Google, Android, YouTube and other marks are trademarks of Google Inc; Facebook is a trademark of Facebook, Inc, and Twitter is a trademark of Twitter, Inc.
2. The Vodafone Smart II will be available in 25 markets across the Vodafone footprint by early summer.
Vodafone is one of the world's largest mobile communications companies by revenue with approximately 404 million customers in its controlled and jointly controlled markets as at 31 March 2012. Vodafone currently has equity interests in over 30 countries across five continents and more than 40 partner networks worldwide. For more information, please visit www.vodafone.com.
For further information:
Tel: +44 (0) 1635 664444
This information is provided by RNS
The company news service from the London Stock Exchange
Datafeed and UK data supplied by NETbuilder and Interactive Data.
While London South East do their best to maintain the high quality of the information displayed on this site,
we cannot be held responsible for any loss due to incorrect information found here. All information is provided free of charge, 'as-is', and you use it at your own risk!
The contents of all 'Chat' messages should not be construed as advice and represent the opinions of the authors, not those of London South East Limited, or its affiliates.
London South East does not authorise or approve this content, and reserves the right to remove items at its discretion.